Friday, June 6, 2008

Someone shut him up!!!

From this months Inside Triathlon magazine:

A too-passionate or obsessive-compulsive approach can cause athletes even keeled in other areas of their lives to lose an objective view of their training and racing.

Hi, I'm Eric. Have we met?

I'm working on mellowing out on my training a bit. It's a very easy thing to do if you are on the outside looking in. The easy step is to appear to be calm and collected when presented with something that will interfere with a planned workout. The words that come out are, "Sure, I think I can make that work." Inside my head however, all I hear is "NO F'ING WAY!!!! I'M GUNNA MISS A WORKOUT AND THEN I'M NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO FINISH MY RACE AND THEN THE WORLD IS GOING TO EXPLODE!!!!!", or something along those lines. Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I'm trying to get that guy to have a beer or two.

That said, on Wednesday night, I went for a quick 35 minute lift, followed by a 850m recovery swim. Just jumped in, swam 850, and went for the hot tub. Last night, I got out for a run, first one since last week. My knees took some persuading, but finally loosened up and made it happen. I tried for a run Wednesday night, but they just weren't having it. Speaking of, if anyone finds a good deal on a knee replacement, shoot me an email.

The plan for this weekend is a long bike ride, probably 40 or 50 miles, and then a Brick workout on Sunday, probably 15 - 20 miles on the bike followed by 2 - 3 miles on the run. I don't know how much I'll taper for next Sunday, I'm going to have to see how my body is responding. If my knees are sore, I'll probably shut down running as early as Tuesday or Wednesday, and just focus on the bike for the middle of the week, and then get some pool time in towards the end. And some yoga.

On a completely unrelated note, race photogs hate me. Exhibit A and Exhibit B. That is the worst aero form I've ever seen. Wow.

Hugs and hand pounds.

E

3 comments:

Joe said...

Unfortunately, the guy in my head that used to do the screaming about missing a workout seems to be passed out in the corner.

Eric said...

HAHAHA! You let him have more than 2 beers, didn't you?

Sarah said...

The dude in your head is calm compared to the crazy bitch in mine!

Hope your knees loosen up. It's probably time for a massage.