Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A different approach

So I had an epiphany on my bike ride last night. I'm taking this WAY too seriously. I love triathlon. I love the feeling of getting a good workout in, I love the soreness the day after, I love the nerves I get on race morning, and the comradere of the athletes on race morning. You know what I hate? The guilt I place on myself when I miss a workout, or eat a hot wing. And folks, I'm done with that. I've had 3 great workouts in a row, no heart rate monitor, no watch, no bike computer - just me and the outdoors. And it's helping me a TON. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to continue using those tools when I feel like I can safely use them without analyzing the crap out of the information they feed me. Too often lately have I spent too much time watching my RPM's or minutes per mile, and I'm forgetting to take a peek at the scenery that this beautiful state has to offer. So here is the pact I've made with myself. I'm going to have fun with the rest of my training this summer. I'm going to get my workouts in, for sure, and I'm going to continue to eat right. But the guilt needs to go. I've got 7 weeks to go to the HIM, and I'm going to follow my training plan the best I can, but I'm just going to take what I can get. Once I get my head right again, then I'll start using the tools again. But for now, I'm going to enjoy the sights, sounds, smells, and feeling of my training. And you know what? I betcha this improves my overall training by leaps and bounds.

2 comments:

grrlkris said...

i bet you're right. my best runs are always my "best runs." whether it's here in colorado with the beautiful outdoors, or back in san francisco with the city music, imho, there's really no point in running if it's all for time. you've got to enjoy it.

as for what kind of running shoes you wear... dunno keds?? as for me, i was a big fan of new balance because of their stability. they served me well in the s.f. marathon a few years ago. but this time when i went shopping for new running shoes, the new balance all seemed so heavy. so, i ended up back with my old favorite, nikes. i have a wonderful new pair of road runners than unfortunately will not see the road for a couple of more months because of a nasty broken wrist from a biking accident. so enjoy your runs for me, too. and good luck with your triathalon.

Sarah said...

Wow, were we separated at birth or something? You're right, same realization at the same time.