Sunday, June 15, 2008

Foiled by the Chocolate Outrage

First tri of the season today, the 5430 Sprint, and it couldn't have been a prettier day. I got to the race at about 5:30am, and I'm glad I got there that early, as the line to get body marked was about 35 minutes long pretty soon there after. I got a great transition spot, and set up very quickly. It's funny to me how paired down my transition areas have become the more comfortable I get with this sport. Did a quick warm up, and my running legs felt great. I'm ready.

The swim started at 7:35am my time, and I started out towards the front and went out pretty hard for the first 150m or so. The water was really really cold, but after a little bit of swimming, it felt great. There was quite a bit of contact, which is fairly unusual for this race, as it is typically pretty laid back. No bother, I can throw a bow or give a kick if someone is being a prick. I was swimming HARD to the outside, and some dude tries to swim over me. I give him a few strokes to realize he was on someone, and as he is STILL trying to swim over me (probably 4 strokes later), I kicked hard. He backed off. I started getting a side stitch on the swim, but it got better, and I finished pretty well, 12m 38s (exact same time, to the second, as my swim in this race last year).

T1 was fast. Wet suit just slid off, socks slid on, and I was off.

The bike ride felt okay. My legs were 'crampy' early. I was hitting the Gatorade, and just trying to spin them a little to start. It was probably the lack of riding I've done the previous week, but they loosened and I rode well. I played a game called "positive pass" - +1 pt. for each person I pass, and -1 pt. for each person who passes me. I ended up at -2, and I'm good with that, as I passed a fair share of really good riders (or just really nice bikes), and was passed by a LOT of really strong riders. About 11 miles in, I took a Chocolate Outrage gel. My legs were a little tired, so I thought, 'Okay, take a gel to make sure you've got energy for the run'. Bad move. Really bad move. As I was taking it, I thought, 'I'm too close to the run, I should not be taking this. I don't need energy.' Finished the bike 28 seconds shy of my split last year, averaging 21.3 mph over 17 miles - 48m 33s.

T2 was super fast. Passed 2 guys in transition.

Ah, the run. My specialty. Except today. I blew up. About 33 steps into my run, the Chocolate Outrage gel made it's presence felt, and my stomach basically locked up. It was the most painful stomach cramp I've ever had. I thought to myself, 'Man, just run through it, this is triathlon, there is pain in triathlon - I've got no quit in me!' I just kept moving forward. I passed and was passed, but I just kept moving. Aid station 1, I was parched, I just grabbed a bit of water and dumped most of it on my head. The stomach suffer fest continued, and I just kept marching on. At the halfway point, I just put my head down and tried to gear up, but the top gear just wasn't there. So the game plan became, just keep moving. Aid station 2 I'm still parched, so a bit more water. I picked a person, and just tried to hold on. I finished pretty well, but missed all of my goals. 22m 39s 5k - 7:19/mile. I was hoping for a sub-6:45/mile pace. Total overall time - 1h 25m 47s. 1 minute and 33 seconds off my goal. That's roughly 30-ish seconds per mile on the run.....

This was the first race I've run where I haven't set a PR. I knew this was bound to happen at some point, but it's disappointing that it happened today, and it wasn't due to a lack of conditioning, it was because of a stupid nutrition mistake. A really stupid one. I know I would have PR'd today if my stomach was okay - the conditions were perfect. Just a dumb move that I should be more aware of by now.

There were lots of positives, my swim and bike felt good, and I was consistent with last year when I felt I was in the best shape of my life. This year I felt under-trained, so to know I would have PR'd is a good feeling. My transitions were sharp and quick. No diddle dicking, just quick. I'm very pleased with that. And I learned an important nutritional piece that I've read 100 times - I don't need to eat in a sprint. I'm frustrated that it was such a beginner mistake, I should have known better. Just stick to Gatorade.

Okay. One more beer and I'm going to bed. I'm tired!

E

I'll post some pics that Ellie took when she gets home.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Good race man! Enjoy your paperweight. We too hard on ourselves.