Friday, May 30, 2008

Just keep moving...

I had a really tough, short, run last night. It was only about 3.7 miles, but man, I was sluggish! I think it could have been that it was in the mid-80's, and I was overheating a bit. I still held my pace at just under 7:oo min/mile - and it felt okay holding that pace, my avg. heart rate was about 79%, a bit high for a recovery run, but not something I couldn't maintain for a while. I think part of my issue was, of course, nutrition. From about 3pm to 5pm seems to be my nutritional black hole - as I can't really figure out what to eat/drink that is calorie dense enough to fuel a workout, but light enough to keep me from cramping. I've found a drink called Driven that is an amino load - but only like 15 calories per serving. It promises everything just short of the moon, and while I haven't really noticed 'Optimized mental focus & clarity"' or too much 'explosive energy', I think it has helped a bit with some pick me up and maybe a bit on the endurance factor. Granted, I've only taken it like 3 times, so we'll have to see. But either way, I need to get some calories in before a freaking workout, and I'm still experimenting with what will work.

I lifted kind of quickly last night as well. Did a quick circuit doing upper body push, upper body pull, lower body push, and lower body pull - with some core work in there as well. I think I was in and out of the gym in about 40 minutes, but I feel like I got a good lift in - so I'm happy. Ellie and I had a little sunset happy hour on our porch, and made some chicken legs for me, and then some tofu spring rolls for dinner. Light and delicious. I'm going to try to get a good swim in tonight, and then probably rest tomorrow before our century on Sunday - work on the bike a bit.
I'm at the point in my training where I'm struggling to find the motivation to get out the door. Each workout, I have to tell myself, 'just one lap', or 'just an easy swim' - and then usually I can't stop until I get the workout finished. I don't really believe in the concept of over-training - I eat well, rest well, and sleep well, and I'm sure I don't do enough volume to overtrain, but it could be mental over-training. I'll enjoy this weekend, and then probably take Monday and Tuesday off to get my head right...if that's possible. We'll see....

E

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I really like the new Honey Stinger chews. They're super light, but 160 calories, so they sustain me pretty well. Otherwise, a half of a Pear Apple Strudel Clif bar is the ticket. Like you, I don't really believe in overtraining, but it seems like I can't "get on it" this season. I think you and I are similar in how we "mentally stress" a little more than we should, and that spills into our workouts.

Sarah said...

Yeah, Pear Apple Strudel! They're Delishhhh, and should be available where ever your find Clif products. It's my absolutely favorite. I've not had the Maple Nut, yet, though. I'm anxiously awaiting your Century report.