Monday, August 4, 2008

Triathlete against tapering...

So this weekend was really the last weekend for me to get any sort of distance in before Sunday's 5430 Long Course. Saturday was an interesting one. Our good friends Brandon and Karen went with us to the Louisville Street Faire and then for some late night chow at the only bloody restaurant (Chili's) that was open past 9:30pm on Friday night. We got to sleep around 12:30am, and B&K crashed in the basement. At about 6:00am sharp, I heard them sneaking out, trying not to wake us up, but I've been known to hear mice walking in my sleep (I could hear them every night that we lived in Australia), so I was up. I finally got back to sleep around 6:45am, but at 7:12am (looked the clock), the doorbell rings. I go answer it to find Brandon there, in full bike gear with his bike, saying "You wanna go for a ride?". He's lucky I had pants on, but I had to think, real quick. No coffee, no breakfast, still half asleep..."Sure, why not?" I said. So, we went for a quick hour back to his place to drop him off, then I turned around and came home for coffee and eggs. Ellie and I walked a little that day, but went to a few barbeques where we ate way too much, my justification being that I need to carb up this week.......Little early for that big guy, but whatever.

Sunday, I got out the door at about 9:30am, and it was already piping hot. I was going for an hour of running, and I set out on my usual Sunday long run course. The hardest part of this course, and I really think that it's going to pay off come Sunday, is that it is super exposed, hardly any shade, and it is a slight decline the entire way out. So that means by the time I turn around, I've got no shade and am just roasting, with a slight incline for the entire run home. It really has hardened me up a bit, and the exposure is exactly like the Long Course's run course. So I think I'm training in the proper conditions for Sunday. The last time I did this race, I trained in Steamboat in a much milder, shaded run course. So I think I'm ready in that sense, but I haven't put in the mileage this summer, so I'm nervous about the run. I did complete 8.45 miles yesterday averaging about 7:50/mile, so if I go just a hair slower Sunday, I'll still run a nice half marathon.

So today, I start my beloved/hated taper. I am going for a decent swim today, massage and light run tomorrow, easy hour ride Wednesday, light swim Thursday, and then try to walk Friday and Saturday. I love the taper as I get to rest, but I also hate it because I have WAY too much energy at the end of the day. It drives Ellie nuts. I see Sarah writing about her taper, and feel much of the same. Just can't sit still. The final race information email just came through, and I got butterflies, so we'll see how this week goes. Eating and hydrating, that's the name of the game this week....

E

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Dude- we're gonna own it! Email me you phone number- we're gonna try to catch some of your race on Sunday. Beer afterward?

sarah at chainwheel dot com

Lisa said...

My post would be Nonathlete against tapering. E, if you don't train, you have no need to taper. Get with the program. :)