Monday, July 13, 2009

A lesson in humility

Well, after doing tris for about 5 years now, I have finally chalked up my first DNF. I went into this year's Boulder Peak kind of expecting it, as I've had a case of Achilles tendinitis that has been bothering me for about a month now. I think I contracted it during the Bicycle Tour of Colorado - and this pain is what caused me to drop from that ride with 2 days remaining. Since the BTC, I've been giving it a lot of rest, ice, and arnica - and it has improved drastically. So much so that I thought I'd give the Peak a go.

The longer these tris are, the earlier one must check in, so I was at the Res a few minutes before 5am on Sunday morning. I got my transition area all set up, eager to take a bit of a warm-up and see how the Achilles responded. My warm-up gave little indication of more pain, but the Achilles was definitely making its presence felt, so I accepted the fact that this may be just a swim/bike.

With that, I dropped the freaking hammer in the water and on the bike. My wave was the 10th out, which meant there were people with a good 50 minute head start, and it was freaking difficult in the water. I struggle with passing people in the water, picking a line is a bit of a challenge for me. Once I have a line, I typically will swim 50 yds or so before I encounter another set of feet and have to pick a new line. This swim was even more challenging, as the group I was swimming was catching people left and right, and towards the end, we were catching the stragglers from groups that had started 15 - 20 minutes ahead of us. I feel for these people, as I know how daunting the swim is for many people, and I don't ever want to add to their fear/frustration. If I could give encouragement in the water, I would.

I came out of the water feeling strong. I took a slower T1 knowing that I probably wouldn't be setting a course record. Off on the bike, I felt pretty strong again. The best/worst part of the Peak is the first 7 miles of the bike course. Lee Hill/Olde Stage are legendary in Boulder, as Lee Hill has about 3/4 of a mile with over 10% gradient. It's a steep mother. There are usually a lot of folks out there cheering you up the torturous climb, chalking the roads up and making you feel like a Tour de France hero. I gave this climb everything I had and managed not to throw up (bonus!). Once through Lee Hill, the ride opens up and you can lay it down. I rode hard, again, thinking I most likely wouldn't run.

With about 6 miles to go on the bike, the thought crept into my head that I should "just give the run a go". There is a certain element of pain associated with triathlon, and up to this point, my pain threshold was still at a manageable level, and my Achilles wasn't hurting (too bad). I got off the bike and headed out for the run. I altered my running form a bit to make sure I was landing on the middle of my foot, which allowed for less extension and exacerbation of the Achilles. I made it about 3/4 of a mile before the pain set in. At this point, I pulled off, and stretched and massaged a bit, trying to battle the voices in my head calling me a pansy. I gave in, and turned around. Less than half a mile from the expo, I gave myself one hell of a pep talk, and decided to try again. I made it to the exact point I had turned around previously, and decided to stop being an idiot and called it a day. The walk of shame back to the expo put me in my place, but I'm glad I made the decision to save my legs.

As I walked up to turn in my timing chip, a 78 year old man crossed the finish line. This actually cheered me up, as I realized that if I take care of my body, then maybe I will be racing at 78 years old. From then on out, I went out about 1/2 mile from the finish and cheered like hell for everyone coming in. It was a really humbling, but really good experience. A few weeks of torturous rest, and I'll be running again, which is better than the alternative if you are messing with your Achilles. It was a good day.

E

1 comment:

Mike said...

E, you're the effing man. I give you so much credit for all the effort you put into your life and not just sports but everything else too. I' really glad that you took the positive outlook when you saw the 78yr old cross the line and think that could be you someday rather then feel bad that a 79yr old finished and you didn't. That's the positive outlook and good attitude that will allow you to do whatever you want for the rest of your life.

congrats man.