Saturday, May 2, 2009

What the heck?

It's been raining a lot here on the weekends lately. It's getting slightly frustrating. Monday through Friday, 70 degrees and mostly sunny. Saturday and Sunday, 45, rainy, and cloudy. Not so conducive to bicycle riding, so I've been out running and swimming (not really swimming) as much as possible. I was able to get out last Sunday, and the ride turned slightly frustrating. I set out to climb Flagstaff in Boulder to get some more climbing in my legs. It was a perfect blue Boulder day, and I was cruising up Flagstaff. About halfway up, I decide to get out the saddle and hammer a bit. As I stand up - POP!!! - a spoke blows on my back rim. I don't know what it is about me and spokes, but I blow probably 4 a summer. I make it a point to make sure my rims are tensioned correctly and am very conscious about putting too much power into them when I'm cornering, etc - but now it's happening when I stand up out of the saddle. It was at this point that I decided it probably wasn't a good idea to keep going up the mountain, as the descent would be pretty dicey on a less than stable rear rim, so I snapped a few photos and limped on home. It was frustrating, especially since I was just getting into a good climbing rythem, and the weather was perfect for a few hours in the saddle. I've got all summer though, so I thought for saftey's sake, I'd live to climb another day. Beautiful though:
Landers and I did make it out for a pretty decent ride on Thursday evening. It was a bit chilly, but great to get out and spin the legs - especially with Landers since we haven't really riden together much this spring. We didn't kill ourselves, and enjoyed a nice after work ride. He's getting significantly better, and I'm confident he will continue to do so as the Bicycle Tour of Colorado approaches.

I got some SWEET new running shoes this week - last year's model of the Structure Triax 12 from Nike. I wore model 10 for the past 2 years, but can't find them anymore, so I upgraded. I love this shoe, it has the perfect support for my running style - but I can tell that I've waited just a bit too long to freshen up the shoes - as my knees get a bit tired after runs. Check 'em out, vintage neon green, think Andre Agassi Neon Green. I'll get a photo up soon, but they are sweet.

Off to enjoy the rest of this rainy day. Hopefully, the motivation to go for a quick run will hit me soon, if not, I'll just keep on the coffee :-)

E

No comments: