Saturday, January 10, 2009

Oatmeal Festival Motivation

Well, I've been a bit under the weather this week. I feel okay in terms of sore muscles and the fluish symptoms that have been going around, so I don't think that's the problem. Just had a bit of coughing, it seemed very bronchial. The few days that I was forced to take off were actually probably needed, as I really didn't take any extended time off when I was on vacation, and speaking of, my vacation was a lot more active in general than I'm used to. Running after 8 year olds is a pretty monsterous workout in and of itself.

I started feeling better yesterday around lunch, so I went for a pretty good lift last night. This morning was the annual Lafayette Oatmeal Festival (yep, Oatmeal), and the 5K course came right through our backyard. I took some coffee outside and cheered the runners on. Seeing a group of runners like that makes one want to run. And not the really elite runners, don't get me wrong, they're cool to watch, but the best to watch are the middle of the packers who are truly enjoying the run and actually pushing themselves to do something that might not be second nature to them. Three miles might not be difficult for me, but to watch someone accomplish something that they may never have before really makes a) want to go slap them on the shoulder, and b) get out there and run myself. So I went for a run. Guess what? I'm still a weeeee bit sick, and my breathing was brutal. I still managed to get about 3 miles in, not the 5 or 6 that I was hoping for, but such is life. It was a good morning, and now I'm just relaxing, watching some sports (Avs and then playoff football) before Ellie and I go bowling with some friends tonight.

If it's dry enough tomorrow, I'm going to try to get out on the bike. Time might be an issue, so if that's the case, it's either the pool or the trail. Any of which is good with me. I'm just glad to be moving around a bit. Hope everyone has a great weekend...

E

No comments: